On April 10, the California Plug Load Research Center (CalPlug) hosted its 12th workshop at CALIT2.
This semiannual workshop coordinates research efforts and maximizes communication about energy efficiency among academic, government and industry stakeholders. Invited speakers shared presentations which highlighted new technologies, market trends, standards and services as well as technical innovations, barriers to implementation and alternative business models.
The day-long event featured updates on CalPlug projects and next steps planned for the center. Presenters discussed how CalPlug plans to take energy efficiency and sustainability to the next level, and explored CalPlug’s roadmap as well as what UCI is doing to remain one of the coolest campuses in the nation.
Following the workshop, participants viewed student projects at CalPlug.
Speakers and presentations (links to presentation pdf)
G.P. Li, Director, Calit2 Irvine/California Plug Load Research Center (CalPlug)
Bradley Meister, California Energy Commission
Scott Samuelsen, Professor, UC Irvine Director, Advanced Power & Energy Program, “Evolution Of The Electric Grid”
• Joy Pixley, Project Manager CalPlug
• Sergio Gago, Research Scientist CALIT2
• Michael Klopfer, Technical Director CalPlug
• Richard Donovan, Director of Research Development, UC Irvine
CALIFORNIA’S ELECTRIFICATION PATH
• Robert Chapman, Vice President Global Sales & Services, Electric Power Research Institute, “Advancing Efficient Electrification”
• Pierre Delforge, Director, High Tech Sector Energy Efficiency, Energy & Transportation Program, National Resource Defense Council, “Efficient & Flexible Building Electrification: Opportunities & Policy”
• Vishal Patel, Principal Manager Technology Strategy, Southern California Edison, “Clean Power & Electrification Pathway”
• Jack Brouwer, Professor UC Irvine, Associate Director, Advanced Power & Energy Program, “California End-Use Electrification Impacts”
• Pierre Delforge, National Resource Defense Council and Vojin Zivojnovic, Aggios, “Computer Real World Testing Methodology”
• Shoshana Pena, Customer Programs Advisor II, San Diego Gas & Electric, “Instant Rebate Program”